Mike represents many individuals, companies, local & national ag lenders, banks, and real estate agencies as their title, exchange and transactional services provider. In addition, he is also an approved and experienced contract attorney/closer for the United States Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the United States Fish & Wildlife Service. For more than the past decade, he has also worked extensively in the area of agricultural drainage.
Mike’s prior research efforts have been published in various treatises and legal reference books in the areas of real estate and land use law and practice. He’s also written and published a number of case reviews for the Iowa Agricultural Law Reporter and OP-ED pieces for the Des Moines Register. He is also a regular speaker at various state and national seminars in the areas of real estate, transactional and agricultural law.
- Michigan State University, B.S.U.P., 1986, Urban Planning
- Drake University, J.D., with honors, 1991
- Drake Law Review, Notes Editor, 1990-91, Staff 1989-90
- Scholarship and Class Book Awards Recipient
- Iowa Public Justice Award, 1998, awarded by Iowa Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)
- Martindale - Hubbell® Rated Attorney
- The Legal Network® Top Lawyers in Iowa
- Case Note, “Inverse Condemnation – A Temporary Flood Control Ordinance
Held Not to be a Compensable Fifth Amendment Taking Contrary to
Supreme Court Mandates: A Right Result for the Wrong Reasons?” 39
Drake L. Rev. 945 (1991)
- Bormann v. Bd. of Supervisors, 584 N.W.2d 309 (Iowa 1998), 29 Envtl. L. Rep. 20,
235, cert. denied, 525 U.S. 1172 (1999)
- Gacke v. Pork Xtra, LLC, 684 N.W.2d 168 (Iowa 2004). Undecided issue from Bormann brief re-submitted with permission. Brief provided solebasis for the Court's holding in Section V of Gacke opinion.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Iowa State Bar Association (Member, Real Estate and Title Section, Ag Law Section, Environmental Section)
- Kossuth County Bar Association, President 2011-2012
- Iowa Title Guaranty, Preferred Provider Program
- City Planner / Zoning Officer, Peoria, IL, 1986-88
- Law Clerk to Hon. James H. Andreasen, Supreme Court of Iowa, 1991-92
Life outside of the office
A former lacrosse playing native of suburban New York City, who never had a discernable accent and who now nonetheless claims rural Iowa as his longtime home, Mike is married and has two teenage daughters. During the school year, Mike and his wife, Laura, can be found in the stands or the bleachers at one of the girls' games or activities. During the summer weekends, they can all be found at their "Vikenhaz" at Spirit Lake.
The Gabor family is known in the community for providing their time, resources, and experience to many boards and organizations.